Wednesday, June 10, 2009

"Jungle Fever?"


Woke up at 6 this morning to go running with Keith. He's been going a ton and after a weekend at the beach with plans to return I've decided it's time to get back on the workout wagon. Made it down to the corner and didn't see him in either direction...waited a minute or two then decided that if he passed, I shouldn't wait for him to get back or I wouldn't get a run in, and if he wasn't there yet he would catch me...so I headed toward the Insitute...realistically a short run but it's legitimately uphill-both ways.

I did pretty well. I'm glad that I knew the route because it allowed me to push myself up the hill, aware of where the end of the run would be before stretching and turning back. It was a short workout. I got to MVI in 7:10 and walked around looking for my running buddy (who I'd caught a glimpse of at a corner on the way up). He was nowhere in sight so I asked a girl on the street and she said he'd kept running (that skilled kid), so I just waited and stretched until he came back by on his way home. The overall run isn't too bad, it's the really steep hill on the way back to my house that's the real killer. It's a curve AND steep, AND the entire run is on unpaved roads...makes for a good workout for the brain while it tries to rapidly calculate where to step to avoid landing on your face!

Had a great fruit breakfast with Daisy before hitting up the institute again for Spanish class. Nothing too big today. Our assignment for next week is to learn the different genres of latin music...easy right? Except not. I know that different dances/types exist, but I can't distinguish them, which will make this quite a learning experience for me...part of our assignment is to go dancing this weekend! Like I said, Cristina is great! Friday we are meeting at her house for breakfast before we check out her husband's art studio which should be really neat. Yay!

Just after class we found out that not only were we going to San Luis, but we were also meeting with the client! ARGH! Little notice is very difficult to deal with and is an added stress. We've only really had a day or two to design and didn't have many questions. When we got to the site we came up with a few more things on the spot which should help us out a bit, so the stress ended up being unnecessary (as always).

We checked out some different construction types before heading to the institute including the women's coop for paper product recycling, which has a bamboo structure that was re-constructed by a previous Sustainable Futures group, as well as some sort of wood-framed home that had walls made of a plant and mud-clay combo. It was the first time I've seen something like that in person.

Back at school we ate lunch, I almost fell asleep in the rocking chair on the porch then we attended Kevin's lecture on Natural Building. It's so frustrating that we DON'T all build this way...it just. makes. sense.

Once again, we jumped in the back of the truck and headed out, this time to see the AYA (acqueduct association) building in Santa Elena. It was bigger than the one we need to design for our site, but it was good to get a sense of size and required spaces to design, including a room for shelves which store the paper trail for ten years.

We got some diesel (which is what most cars take here)...totally not illegally stored in someone's garage since the nearest gas station is a good 40 km away or something...yeaaa....'bout that.

Got back to studio with about an hour left...I was not able to be very productive. Got to talk to Dad on skype for a bit, and read more of my spanish book before heading home for dinner with Daisy. I saw Cristian on the way and he said I can catch a ride on a moto down to watch their game tomorrow--coolio. I may try to catch some of the hockey game before I meet them near my house...we'll have to see how the timing works out.



After dinner I met up with Keith and we walked down to a different Pizzeria where we got a crepe and cappuchinos before the gang showed up for a rousing game of Jungle Speed...which I heard incorrectly the first time as "Fever." A whole bunch of us met up and the game was huge which was cool. Will was hilarious...losing almost every opportunity possible! Linsey stopped by with her bro, Yenaro (spelling?), and their exchange student, Max. Sam, Tuona, Bryan, Amber, Kevin, Keith, Brita and Isabelle (Kevin's daughters), Will and I were all sitting around one of the tree-section tables making tons of noise and having a great time of it.

Today was one of the longest days I've had but it was lots of fun...Up early for another day of running tomorrow-this time up the big hill! Ahhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment