Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The rain comes instead of our client

Tico time.

Worked all morning and early afternoon on some presentation materials for our client, Jose Francisco who was supposed to come today at 1. He didn't show and called us about an hour into our "self-review" to reschedule for tomorrow. Review went all the way until 5. There will only be a few hours between Spanish and lunch and the review tomorrow so I may start on the report that we have to do.

It poured. When it pours here, you can't hear a word anyone is saying outside of 2 feet from your ears because the rooves are so thin that it drowns everything out. It's incredible! Does not help production at all and it has become a major design issue that we are going to work on for our proposals.

After review the net wasn't working and I hadn't been on in a few days so Tuona and I hauled it to the "white castle" cafe, as she calls it, in order to get on. It was slow there, and two hours resulted in very little progress but it was better than nothing. Arturo was supposed to be at the institute to fix the computers and internet today but he didn't show...two tico no-shows! Life in a place where transportation depends mostly on your own two feet!

After the cafe I headed home and was going to go see if I could borrow Ali's computer for the morning and instead I totally forgot why I had even gone in the first place because we sat down on her wooden floor and talked until midnight. She's a world traveler and I lvoed hearing about all of the places she'd gone and people she ran into and fidning that she did that despite being a lot like me, shy to approach but happy to talk when someone initiates conversation. Of course sharing stories about life and studying here was fabulous bonding time too! It's really nice to know that other people think about the same things...like how we all get full from a meal and are hungry again within 30 minutes...what is that about?! haha.

Walked home at midnight and decided that I was still awake enough to shower...I FINALLY figured out how to get hot water in the shower...score. There's a ginormous spider living behind the lightbulb fixture on my ceiling...which i JUST noticed. At least he kills other bugs? I guess? I'm going to try to pretend that I didn't jsut see him before he disappeared into his home...

Up early to do spanish research that didn't get done at the cafe!
Skype date with Malte this weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment