Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Monteverde Waterfall and Gold Cup Playoffs

So today we finally got the heck away from the Institute for an hour mid-day to see the Monteverde waterfall. Definitely not the San Luis falls, but whatever. We all agree that this walk was the sort of thing we should have been doing every day this summer as part of our program.

Dan, Amber, Keith, Tuona, Josh at the start of the trail:

Dan, pointing out a cutter ant who seemed to have a different food source in mind than the rest of the workers...

Little seat, little Tarzan root....no big thang.

Dan...this is the cloud forest. Check out that density.

Tuona, Amber, and Keith...getting closerrrrr!

We finally were down by the water on the makeshift bridges...which were super-rickety. I'm not going to lie, the danger-factor made the short walk a lot more fun and exciting.

I mean...THIS could happen to YOU...doesn't that give you a rush??

This was another way of helping people to navigate the tough terrain to the falls...ropes over rocks. Dan, then Amber, then Keith, then Tuona.
The falls! We FINALLY made it...ok, so it was only a kilometer.

J$, Dan, and Keith. Giving you an idea of the difficulty of the waterfall rock passageway. Note: the land owner/path builder, Simon, is in the background. I don't know that the walk was worth $4 that it cost for students, but it was definitely worth it to get out of studio, and he gave us a deal since we didn't have enough money for all 6 of us...so that was cool.

Will and me...working something out under the watchful eye of Anibal, apparently.
I stayed late to work at studio tonight because we have a practice presentation tomorrow and we have a lot of stuff due before we get into final presentation materials next week. I missed the US vs. Honduras semi-final game for the Gold Cup at 5, but a bunch of us made plans to meet up to watch the Costa Rica/Mexico game at 8. While Sam, Clara and I waited for Tuona to finish dinner, we witnessed CR soccer fans in action...a housefull of dudes gathered together to watch a game. Now, this is probably comparable to a superbowl party, except that it happens much more than once a year.
Tuona walking to Bar Amigos for the game.

After a really close game, Mexico finally scored with just minutes left in the second half. With less than 30 seconds on the clock in extra stoppage time, Costa Rica scored to tie up the game. The place went nuts. It was awesome. I thought of my team and our game against York when Sara Cooke scored with 1 second on the clock...it was really cool to be part of. The 2, 15-minute, overtimes came and went without any goals and it came down to PKs. Mexico scored, CR scored, Mexico scored, CR scored, Mexico scored, the Mexico goalie came up with a huge save, and the rest was history as the remaining Mexico players to shoot made their shots. It was a sad ending to such a good game. I hate when team games end in such individualistic ways...they should just play til they drop, or til someone scores. haha.
After the game, DJ Toni jumped on his high horse and got the crowd going a bit with Calle 8, One Two Three Four, Uno Dos, Tres, Cuatro...a few of us decided to stay for a bit. Diego and Amy showed up to dance as did Jose, so it was cool to get to hang out with them for a bit.
Clara, Diego, Amy, Me, Jose
Jose loved Sam :)
Jose and Me

After waiting a good deal of time for the boys to finish their "one beer" Sam and I decided to head out since we have so much to do tomorrow still. I'm glad I came out and chilled for a bit but I'm exhausted now. It's been a long week. Can't wait for the weekend so we can get a break.
I'm not ready to go home yet...I don't think it's because I want to be here, but I don't know where I want to be, so it seems easier to stay where I am than to make another change without any more direction than I had before.

No comments:

Post a Comment