Monday, July 20, 2009

Productivity...GO

So today we started off a little bit behind as our professors thought we didn't quite get our two schemes ironed out enough to start developing. We spent the first part of the morning getting that straightened out before splitting up into our two groups (Will and Tyler-working on the new construction with the dorms scheme) and Keith and Me working on the existing building with re-programmed space. We reconvened later in the day and I'm really happy with the progress that we made. I have to work on splitting up the criteria for each of the schemes now.
Keith and I got a chance to run down to Santa Elena and Cerro Plano to check out Hotel Poco a Poco's covered pool. They are a really great example of what we are doing here. They focus not only on being sustainable but also teaching about it. They also construct in a way that is aesthetically pleasing and interesting. I really like the way that they cover their walkways because it lets in light and air, sheds water, and is still dynamic.
We also checked out the pool cover at El Establo, one of the most famous hotels in Monteverde, for sure, and possibly even throughout Costa Rica. I have to note that I wasn't all too impressed with their pool. The view was great (on a day as clear as today, at least) but the pool was fairly dull in shape and the covering was a simple grid. The thing I liked most was the retaining wall at the back and how they closed off that side from wind but maintained an aesthetic with a terrace of plantings.

We were entertained for a bit this afternoon by a hummingbird who flew into the breezeway where we're set up our studio workspace.

Met with Kevin and Pam and they like our stuff and gave us some direction. Tomorrow morning we'll start right away, Keith and I will develop our scheme which relocates the building entry to be more accessible and identifiable while Will and Tyler merge their two schemes into one.
The walk home was a bit rushed as it was actually clear and we knew the sunset would be beautiful if we could get to the rock...which is a well-known location by now for its overlook to the Gulf of Nicoya. These things just never come out on the camera...but I always feel like I have to try.
Today is Will's Bday, so we met up at Chimera for drinks for a bit. I had a Kiwi Caipirinha (I think that's the spelling?) which was absolutely awesome! Will had to leave to get home for dinner so a few of us went down to Johnny's to hang for a bit. Anibal's cousin Emmanuel was working because Randall is sick (and still hasn't gone to the doctor over the past month of it). Heyner was there so I got to talk with him a bit. I told all of them about going out the night before we leave.
My Kiwi Caip. and Sam's Strawberry Caip.

I felt good about how much we got done today and I'm really glad to be home before midnight for the first time in days. Here's hoping this helps out with my cold which I still have...lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment