Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Reserve...Finally.

So about that thinking I should go home to talk to Daisy...yeah. Momma' Daisy was not too happy with me today when I showed up at 7:30 am telling her that I'd slept over at Tuona's. She scolded me for not telling her that I wasn't coming home for dinner and I told her I was sorry. I didn't bother explaining myself. It didn't matter. She was mad, and I should have told her, and that was that. She offered to make breakfast but I told her I was about to leave for the reserve and when she insisted I told her I wasn't hungry. She offered to make lunch, too, but I have pizza left over and I didn't have time to wait because I needed to meet the girls to get to the institute by 8 for the reserve.

Headed to the reserve and split into two groups, one with Anibal's bro, and the other was my group with Danilo, which is ironically what I call Dan. We learned that the plants here create cyanide and about how poisonous animals use that to make their venom while non-venomous creatures take small bites from different leaves because with every bite, the plant naturally sends more toxic chemicals to the place where they're eaten to protect themselves. Pretty incredible how living creatures defend themselves through natural means.

We saw a snake and hummingbirds, butterflies, spiders, lots of different trees and plants and bugs, a few flowers, and the highlight for me, which was a porcupine eating little fruits. Our guide said that it's extremely rare to see them during the day, so that was neat. After our tour, Sam found a coati up on the roof. To me, they look like a mix between monkeys, anteaters, and raccoons.

After the reserve, we stopped at the institute then headed to the Argentine Cafe for lunch. I had a burger and fries...how argentinian of me...and then Linsey and I split a brownie which was really scrumptious. Go us.

Back at the institute I did the typical online thing for a bit then helped out on the trail system that our landscape architects have been designing all summer. Wielding a machete was not nearly as empowering as I had originally hoped, but it was better than nothing, so I went with it for a while before switching off to clear what had been chopped, then changing to lining the path with wooden slats and a shovel.

Tonight, we're going out or something. In the meantime I'm going to go get all of the dirt off of me from the strangler at the reserve and the trail work, then maybe eat if I get any appetite in the next little while, then maybe go chill with Jandro for a bit. Last week, gotta' make it good.

No comments:

Post a Comment