Sunday, July 19, 2009

Thoughts

Monte Verde is what I imagine the hills of Ireland to be like...if they were on crack.

I think they grow cows differently here...they are deformed so that two legs are longer than the other two so that they can stand up straight on super-steeply angled hills.

Roosters saw Cheekeereekeekee here...not cockadoodledoo...in caswe you want to start a convo with one.

There are dog parties, monkey parties, cow parties...all sorts of fiestas at all times of the day here.

Dogs know when lunchtime is at the institute better than we do.

Ed's cat call was stolen from the Howler monkeys.

The midnight electric storm in Samara was hands down the most incredible natural spectacle that I've ever seen.

It is not uncommon for a family of four to go to and from their places of business and school on a single motorcycle.

I wish I knew more about geology because the rocks that line the road on my walk to school, and which I must stare at if I want to avoid falling on my face, are of so many different colors that I can't help but to want to know more about them.

No, Marissa, just because I didn't go to Barcelona does not mean that I was living in a moldy house all summer.

Tourism has picked up. I don't know if this is an indicator of something. For the sake of everyone, I hope it is.

People here survive on approximately $300/month. This is more than in many other places in the world. It works because their energy is very cheap (around 80% is non-fossil fuel), they grow their own gardens, and they barter with their neighbors for a much more sustainable lifestyle and community.

I always miss the people the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment